Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Fresh Fig and Toasted Almond Ice Cream



Welcome to my food diary. I'm Alex, as you know, and Chris is my husband, just in case you didn't know. He's mentioned a lot, since he's my captured food audience and chief reviewer.
We went out tonight, so all I made today is ice cream. After 2 batches of coffee and shaved dark chocolate ice cream, I was ready for something different. Now I have to tell you, this coffee ice cream was incredibly good. I don't care for coffee flavored desserts and I only made this flavor because Chris LOVES coffee in anything. But the flavor was subtle and the shaved chocolate had an ethereal texture. Chris commented that the mouth feel was like halavah (which makes me think I should use halavah in the future). Anyway, I asked Chris what new flavor he'd like and his reply: "Well, this coffee flavor is good." Um, ok. Yes, it is good. And we liked it. But I'm not inclined to wear the same dress within the same 6 months...so it was already a challenge for me to make the same thing 2 days in a row. As an aside, my husband is a scientist and creativity (in this instance, regarding food) is different for him compared to me. He's happy to eat a slice a pizza for every meal (preferably from Mike's Deli on Arthur Ave, but since we're in the northwest, he'll chomp mall pizza if that's what's available). Anyhoo...he'll eat anything I put in front of him. I cook for myself as much as I cook for him. Oh who am I kidding, that's a big fat lie. I cook for some fantasy audience in my head and they demanded a new flavor. So, I started day-dreaming about flavor combinations (day-dreaming about food is my favorite past time) and I remembered that I'd seen fresh figs at Wholefoods the other day. I already knew I wanted to come up with a fig dish and had toasted almonds in the freezer, so...Lo and Behold...a new batch of ice cream is hardening as I write this. Chris licked the paddle and said, "This tastes exotic." That's a pretty good review. From a scientist, no less.
If you have a favorite ice cream recipe, by all means adapt to fit. But, if you don't, mine is pretty good. You can omit the eggs (I did for the coffee version) and it has a lighter texture or you can add more eggs, which will make it more custardy. As long as you keep the half & half and cream at a 3:1 ratio you'll be good. If you decide to make the coffee ice cream, note that adding a cup of coffee to your cream mixture will make the ice cream, well, icy. Still tastes good, but doesn't feel like ice cream. You should steep the coffee in your cream mixture and strain. Just a tip from me to you.
Here's the recipe for your assessment.

Shopping List
3 C half & half
1 C heavy cream
sugar to taste
2 t vanilla
8 egg yolks
1/2 pint fresh figs
handful sliced/ blanched & toasted almonds

Preparation
Bring the half & half and cream to a simmer (to about 170 degrees). Chop 4 of the ripest figs and reserve. Slice the rest of the figs and mix with sugar and heat until fruit begins to breakdown. Whip yolks until light in color, add sugar and vanilla. Add a ladle of hot cream mixture to egg mixture to temper and them combine completely. Let cool. Using a hand blender, puree figs and add to custard base. Cool in refrigerator for several hours (to at least 40 degrees).
Process mixture in ice cream maker (using manufacturer's instructions). It takes about 30-40 mins to come together and then add the reserved figs and the almonds. Transfer to an airtight container and let harden for at least an hour before serving.



4 comments:

  1. I think this recipe sounds great, but beyond that I am so glad you are doing this! It's positive in SOOOOO many ways. Talk to you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Old town McKinney does an ice cream-off every year, and a frequent finisher is an avocado ice cream. Yes, avocado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay pure torture, where is mine?
    I'm glad you recieved the exotic comment from HuBBy. When is dinner? What's on for tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe it took me this long to get to your blog! As I read, I feel like I'm standing beside you, though, my tastebuds know different! So inspiring, Alex. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete