Thursday, July 30, 2009

Ice: Creams and Pops





Well, I recently learned something new about myself: I can't cook when I'm hot. Or write.

Here in the Seattle area, we have been suffering through record-breaking heat. I'd say a tropical heat wave, but friends, I'm in the Northwest, no where near a tropical anything. What is wrong with the world when Bellevue, WA reaches 107 degrees? Good lord, I have been like a wilted flower. And though I was born in Indiana, I spent 20 years in Tallahassee, FL, also known as a swamp. And I liked it. But here in Bellevue, they don't have the good sense to have central air. Well some folks do, but they are a rare minority. We don't have air conditioning and our apartment reaches 95 degrees my 4pm.



So, I have been making ice pops everyday. Yep, that has been the extent of my "cooking." Ok, that's not entirely true. I did make a batch of ice cream on Monday (the first day of the heat wave), but had to go to the pool for 3 hours afterwards to recover. And Wednesday I sliced up some various melons. Yes, I broke a sweat and spent the rest of the day at the pool. Finally today, I made another batch of ice cream (currently setting-up in the freezer) and plan to swim as soon as this entry is complete. I have never been so miserable or so adverse to cooking.



I suppose one shouldn't start a blog and then stop posting so suddenly. But for the first time ever, I have not wanted to cook a thing. Maybe this is like when my mother went on strike in the 1980's. My sister and I were in high school and my mother just hung-up her apron and said, "I'm not cooking anymore." Sure, she made special birthday meals, but she was working full-time and just didn't have it in her to be a homemaker, too. We ate out a lot. My poor pop, he wanted home-cooking so badly, but my mother just wouldn't do it. And until my father retired my parents continued to eat out for nearly every meal. My mother hated take-out because she didn't even want to clean up afterwards. But when my dad retired he started cooking and now he's a very good cook and even cleans up after himself.



I cannot begin to compare myself with my mother. I didn't raise two kids. I don't even have one. Or a dog. Chris and I live in an apartment and I don't work outside the house. So, I'm not actually on strike, just hot.

However, I did manage to create a few things I'd like to share with you, dear reader. Listed below are the recipes for two ice cream flavors: (blueberry-buttermilk and extra-rich vanilla with Valrhona dark perles craquant) and a delightfully refreshing ice pop (lime pomegranate with fresh mint and fruit).
I probably don't need to tell you that Chris appreciated the icy treats and had this to say about their tastes: "Oh, that's so good." Of course the man is also delirious from the heat. I can only assume they tasted good!

As soon as the temperature lowers I will begin to cook again and post, with much love, my recipes.



Ice Pop Shopping List
Pure pomegranate juice
Fresh squeezed lime juice
Fresh mint
Frozen blueberries
Frozen melon, minced


Preparation

The measurements for this recipe are all to taste and will depend on the size of your popsicle molds. If you don't have popsicle molds you could use an ice tray.

Into a large-sized, liquid measuring cup pour pom juice and lime juice. I like about half and half, but you should use only as much lime juice as you prefer. You can also dissolve some sugar into the mixture if you prefer it to be sweeter than sour.

Mince mint leaves. Again, to taste. I like a lot of flavor and love the texture of the mint, but you may not be as bold. Toss the mint into the juice. You can steep the mint in the juice and remove it, if you prefer a more subtle mint taste. Be sure to bruise the leaves before steeping, to maximize the release of the mint's oil.

Into each popsicle mold drop frozen berries or melon bits (or mix them, if you like). Fill the molds up about half way. Then pour the juice into the molds. Freeze.




Blueberry Buttermilk Ice Cream
Shopping List

Pint buttermilk
4 oz creme fraiche
Pint heavy whipping cream
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2-1 C sugar (to taste)
1 t vanilla

Preparation

Add buttermilk, creams, sugar and vanilla to mixing bowl and whisk until combined. Pour into ice cream maker and use manufacturer's directions. While ice cream is churning, add blueberries. It's that simple!



Extra-rich Vanilla and Valrhona Dark Perles Craquant
Shopping List

1/4 lb of perles craquant (I prefer Valrhona, but any chocolate you like will suffice)
4 oz cream cheese, softened
8 oz creme fraiche
Quart half & half
1 T vanilla
1/2 - 1 C sugar (to taste)

In large mixing bowl combine cream cheese and sugar. Whisk until sugar begins to dissolve. Add creme fraiche, vanilla and half & half. Whisk until completely incorporated. Pour into ice cream maker and follow manufacturer's directions. Add the chocolate slowly, as ice cream churns. freeze!

Note: perles craquant (French for crunchy pearls) are tiny, tiny balls of chocolate that look like non-pareils or mini BBs. They are not chips. They keep their shape, even when heated, and have a powdery finish when eaten. I buy them at Wholefoods, but if you can't find them there you would easily find them at a high-end culinary shop.


3 comments:

  1. I popped back over to read it again to make the pom pops tonight! Can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that at least you've been inspired to bless us with frozen treats! We're all a little hot these days ;-)

    Kiesha

    ReplyDelete
  3. And they were tangsational. I used Dixie Cups to dirty south them up a bit. because I don't have popsicle molds. Though I may need them now.

    ReplyDelete